Koreshan Unity Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection contains letters to and from various members of the Koreshan Unity, other documents relating to it, a series of notebooks containing scriptural indices, the book "Cellular Cosmogony or the Earth a Concave Sphere," a newpaper clipping on it, and a letter to a hollow-Earth skeptic.
- 1890 - 1920
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions governing access to this collection.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Biographical / Historical
The Koreshan Unity (1870s-1910s) was led by Cyrus Teed (1839-1908) and was a religious cult whose members generally believed that a life of celibacy led to immortality and that the Earth was hollow and concave. They formed a commune in Florida, which, at its peak, housed some 250 members. The commune contained a printing house, Guiding Star Publishing House, at which was published the Flaming Sword, a newsletter and journal.
0.4 Linear Feet : One half-size archival box.
Language of Materials
This collection contains many of the personal papers of various members of the Koreshan Unity, as well as several bound notebooks serving as scriptural indices. Also of note are Teed's book "Celluar Cosmogony," a newspaper clipping describing its hollow-Earth theory, and a letter of refutation to a critic of the theory.
The collection is contained within one half-size archival box and consists of four series: Correspondence, Miscellaneous Documents, Notebooks, and items relating to the hollow-Earth theory. Within each series, files are arranged chronologically.
- Advertising, Newspaper Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Communalism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Postcards Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- drawings (visual works) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- maps (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- newspapers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Dana Goettler
- Nov., 2022
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Hamilton College Special Collections Repository
198 College Hill Road
Clinton NY 13323 United States