Skip to main content

Hermann C.G. Brandt Papers

 Collection
Identifier: yhm-arc-0000-335

Content Description

Notes for the German Dictionary originally housed in a wood file cabinet, from Professor of German Hermann C.G. Brandt, Class of 1872. The dictionary was published in 1925: A German-English dictionary, by H. C. G. (Hermann Carl George) Brandt, London, New York etc. G.E. Stechert & Co.

Dates

  • Majority of material found within 1900-1920

Creator

Biographical / Historical

Hermann Carl George Brandt (1850–1920) was a German-American scholar who published German grammars and German-English dictionaries among other works. Brandt was born at Vilsen, Germany. He graduated in 1872 from Hamilton College in Clinton, New York, and was an instructor there from 1874 to 1876. From 1876 to 1882, he was associate professor of German at the Johns Hopkins University. In 1883, he was appointed professor of German language and literature at Hamilton, and remained in that position for the rest of his life. His publications include a German-English and English-German dictionary, an edition of Lessing's Nathan der Weise (1879), a German grammar (1884; several subsequent editions), and a useful German reader (1889).

(Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Carl_George_Brandt; accessed Apr. 2022)

Extent

1 Linear Feet (4 archival 4x6 index card boxes)

Language of Materials

English

German

Arrangement

Original order maintained. Collection is arranged in alphabetical order other than box 3 which contains miscellaneous letters of the alphabet. A couple of correspondence between Brandt and the publisher are folded up at the beginning of the collection.

Processing Information

Index cards removed from wood file cabinet and stored in archival 4x6 shoe boxes.

Status
Completed
Author
Jeremy Katz
Date
Apr. 2022
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Hamilton College Archives Repository

Contact:
198 College Hill Road
Clinton NY United States