Couper, Edgar W.
Edgar Williams Couper was born in Boonville, NY, on 14 February, 1899, and died in Binghamton, NY, on 17 January, 1988. After graduating from Hamilton College as the salutatorian of the class of 1920, Couper joined the insurance firm Nelson, Wadsworth, and Alexander. He eventually became president of the company, which had been re-named Couper-Ackerman-Sampson. After leaving the insurance business in 1954, he became the President of the First-City National Bank of Binghamton, eventually becoming Chairman in 1970. Couper was also devoted to education. He was elected to the New York State Board of Regents in 1951, serving as vice-chancellor from 1957-1961 and chancellor from 1961 until his retirement in 1968. During his time as chancellor, he was instrumental in the establishment of Harpur College, which would later serve as the nucleus of the State University of New York at Binghamton. A fifth-generation Hamiltonian, Couper received an honorary LL.D. from Hamilton in 1953. He served Hamilton College as a charter trustee from 1937-1951 and from 1968-1969. Couper was appointed trustee emeritus in 1969, a position he held until his death in 1988.